Family Centre is an internationally accredited Bermuda charity that has been providing family intervention services since 1996 to support children suffering from problems such as abuse, neglect, and other emotional challenges. Counselling and support services provide families with the skills they need to be successful and sustain that success for future generations.
The Mission of Family Centre is Strengthening Families and Systems to Create a Healthier Community for Children
View Family Centre's
Major Categories of Family Centre clients
- Children who are sad or angry due to parent conflict
- Children who live in disorganized households with patterns of trauma, neglect, and abuse
- Children at chronic risk who have behavioral challenges and are becoming involved in high risk lifestyles
Caring For Families Programme
Family Centre has always attempted to reach children at-risk for abuse, neglect, and other social and emotional problems as early as possible. We know that children must be loved and sustained by families so family involvement is mandatory. Children live in communities and attend schools so our work reaches into all of those domains.
- Triage services to quickly respond to anyone in crisis
- Child and family counseling to support healing and well being
- Family Support services to solve practical problems and support stability
- Group services to teach skills and build relationship
Sometimes it is too late to avoid serious abuse and neglect and the lasting problems that can come with trauma. Family Centre has staff with a high level of skill who treat individual children and families for serious psychological problems and help them to navigate the road back to dignity and health.
Our Family Outcomes: Changing Lives with an average 90% success rate
- Children – Improved behaviours occur with stability
- Parents – Parenting skill improves with new tools
- Family – Functioning well together when problems are reduced
- Over 300 family interventions in 2011 and hundreds of others supported through school and community based services.
- The majority of those families are served at our most intensive level of care
- Family Centre has increased the most intensive counselling and family support
- services by more than 180% since 2008.
- Family Centre is still expanding to respond to a waiting list of additional families and needs your help.
Community Based Services The scope of the need continues to grow and Family Centre must balance resources to reach more children through their families, schools, and communities. Family Centre is now leading a project called the Youth Development Zone. It is a community-based project that combines our efforts with partners including the Police, the Department of Youth & Sport and the Economic Empowerment Zone Agency in a prevention strategy to target those at the highest risk. Family Centre is coordinating the project to manage effectiveness and measure the collective impact that partners are making.
The Youth Development Zone is a response to the growing problems affecting youth including violence, gangs, school failure and disorganized communities. The roots of these issues are family problems, which have developed over generations. By simultaneously building family, school, and community relationships with integrity, we will create a tipping point and reclaim the future for young people and for Bermuda.
Community Prevention - Parents work more, extended families have decayed, community dangers have increased, and electronic media has taken over. Children are more isolated and cooped up than ever before and that can lead to despair, hyperactivity, poor social skills, and ill health. Family Centre builds collaborative partnerships to offer young people fun and productive opportunities for building healthy lifestyles.
- Beyond Rugby Programme
- Homework Academies
- Youth Police Initiative
- Youth Leadership Academy